skip navigation

Prairie Conference Semi-Final Recap

By Ryan Watters (@ryan2tswatters), 10/16/23, 8:00AM PDT


The Hilltops and Thunder advance to Conference final

Photo courtesy of Wanda  Harron Photography

Saskatoon Hilltops 53
Calgary Colts 2

The Hilltops continue to roll and easily won their semi-final tilt with the Colts on Sunday. 

The ground game behind that athletic offensive line chewed up 388 yards and their defence completely shutdown any momentum the Colts had forcing 10 turnovers. 

Offensively the Hilltops consistently pounded the rock led by the two headed monster of Boston Davidsen and Charles Sawi who combined for 259 yards.  Davidsen carried the ball 23 times for 132 yards and two touchdowns, while Sawi rushed 12 times for 127 yards and added a score.  Xavier Sabo averaged 47 yards on his two carries which included a 78-yard sprint for a touchdown in the fourth quarter when the game was already out of reach. 

Quarterback Trey Reider was good when he did drop back adding a touchdown pass to Noah Flaman. 

On the defence the Hilltops pitched a shutout and showed why they have been the top defence in the CJFL all season.   They forced 10 turnovers, highlighted by seven interceptions tying a Prairie Conference playoff record.  Jace Mowles had two picks and Wade Keating recorded a 26-yard pick-six.

The lone Colts points came on a conceded safety in the second quarter.

The Hilltops move on in the CJFL Canadian Bowl Playoffs and will host the Regina Thunder next weekend in the Conference finale.  The winner will host the CJFL National Semi-Final.

Regina Thunder 20
Edmonton Huskies 17

Under sunshine in Regina, the defences stood tall on Sunday in a tightly contested Prairie Conference semi-final.  

Both defences held down the passing attacks allowing the Thunder to gain 120 yards while the Huskies could only muster 106 yards through the air.

For the Thunder on offence they turned to the ground game which chewed up 168 yards, primarily gained by Ryland Leichert who rushed 26 times for 130 yards but was kept out of the endzone.  Both Sadik Sadik and Justin Reiger finished off solid Thunder drives with rushing touchdowns. 

The biggest play of the game came with 10 minutes to go in the fourth quarter and the game tied at 17.  Thunder kicker Shawn Green knocked through a 19-yard field goal for the eventual game winning points. 

The defence wasn’t too flashy with turnovers, they just played solid football.  Matt Schill had a game high eight solo tackles and they combined for three sacks. 

The visiting Huskies shot out of the gate quickly scoring 10-points in the opening quarter but couldn’t sustain their attack.  Ife Adebogun got into the endzone first with a 10-yard touchdown run to open the scoring.  Unfortunately for the Huskies that was the only touchdown they would score in the first half.  In the third quarter Nolan Baragar added a major which at that time tied the score at 17 and would be the final points the Huskies would score this season. 

Defensively the Huskies were solid forcing four turnovers and they had a pair of sacks. 

The Thunder advance to the Prairie Conference Final where they will face their arch rival the Saskatoon Hilltops on Sunday afternoon.  The winner will host the CJFL National Semi-Final game.